Thursday, April 15, 2010

plastic is poison..as was lead in it's day

     I got one of those viral emails that is making the rounds. This one talks about the horrors of plastic. Don't drink water from a bottle that been sitting in the sun, don't nuke foods in plastic containers, because the heated plastic leaks poisonous dioxins into our food. This type of poisoning has been linked to forms of cancer, especially breast cancer.

     All this is true, and it's something I have believed for a while. It's a conclusion I came to all by myself, without the help of informative emails. When I nuked something in plastic, I could smell that something was wrong. My body reacted to the fumes. It was trying to tell me to stay away from it.

     And finally I started to listen. I went back to drinking tap water...it's the same water I have drank all my life...and I stopped using the microwave, period. I encourage others to do the same. I think others are starting to get the message. But I do wonder....if this email had not come around, would people have slowly come to the same conclusion without it? Or do they truly need to hear it from a doctor or scientist? We are smart and our bodies are smart. They will tell us what is wrong. We only have to learn to listen.

     The other thing I don't understand is the limiting nature of this email. Why only water bottles? And nuked plastic containers? There are so many other ways our food is presented to us in this poison covering. If water bottles sitting in a car getting warm cause dioxins to leak into the liquid, what about pop bottles or juice bottles? Can people not see that it's the same thing? If heated plastic leaks dioxins into food, then what about cans? Do people realize that 95% of cans are lined with a plastic coating, and cooked veggies and lunch foods like ravioli are put into these cans hot, and then sealed? It's the same thing, people! Do people know that you shouldn't keep budgies and other small birds in a cage in the kitchen because the fumes released from tfal-coated frying pans will kill them? If it kills them, what is it doing to us? These are the same birds that were used in mines to detect poisonous gas. When the little bird dropped from it's perch, the miners got the hell out of there. Can we put the two together here?

     It's one thing after another. Plastic is everywhere, and let's face it, it's killing us. 100 years from now, they will look back at this time like we look back at the time 100 years ago when cans were made of lead, which leached into the food and killed people. We think, didn't they know? Didn't they realize? How could they be so stupid? Why didn't they stop it? Well, they did stop using lead cans, eventually, when the connection was made. And here we are, being poisoned by plastic. And we know it! So when does it stop? When the doctors and scientists tell us to? Or when we start making up our own minds to change the situation?

No comments: