Friday, April 02, 2004

Ric prepares to leave.....

Bug is on.
I see Ric. He is standing in the doorway of the small wood-slat house. He leans with his shoulder against the doorframe. His hand is tucked loosely into the pocket of his jeans. He wears no shirt. The sun is shining, glaring off the snow piled everywhere, but the day is cold; his breath puffs out around his head when he exhales.
He speaks to a boy who is outside and to the left of the house.
The boy is wiping down a bay horse with a bit of cloth. He wears the black and red of the Aerodonn army. His hair is dark, and mussed - it must be early in the morning.
Ric - "You've got three more to do after her. Better hurry."
The boy pauses. - "Yes sir." then continues.
Ric grins. - "Don't miss breakfast."
Behind Ric I can just see a shadowy figure. Can't make out who it is. My guess is Andry.
She speaks but now I can't see her.
Andry - "Stop teasing him, Ric. He'll have to eat regardless of when he finishes. It's a long ride to the castle."
Ric looks back at her. He stands straight as she hands him a shirt. It's thick, mostly red, with black sleeves and a black V at both sides of the neck. He pulls it over his head.
Ric - "I'm not hurting him. A little pressure won't kill him."
Andry, from inside still - "Yes, but you don't want him telling Lord Hillmark that he's going hungry. He's Hillmark's grandson and heir; Hillmark will kill you."
Ric laughs - "If anything happens to him, Hillmark is the least of my worries. Gowan's the one who will flay me. Well...he'll flay you, actually. I'll blame it all on you." Ric makes a good-natured grab at the shape that is Andry, but she jumps out of the way, batting at his hands.
Andry, laughing - "You're a pest. I'm glad you'll be out my hair for awhile. But promise you'll go easy on the boy. Gowan didn't agree to take him so you could torture him. This is supposed to be a learning experience for him."
Ric nods - "Don't be silly. He's fine. I promise."
Andry - "I know. I just....don't want you to go."
Ric - "I know, but it won't be long. Just going to get this Section to the castle, get them set up, make sure the gate is working. Then I'll come back here, okay? Two weeks travel there, two weeks there, two weeks travel back. When I get back all this damn snow will be gone."
Andry doesn't say anything, she's upset now. She doesn't want him to go.