Saturday, April 03, 2004

Javin must go......

Bug is on.
I see Gowan. He waits in a room; the walls are white but dirty. His shirt is dirty, too; dusty smudges make the red look pink and the black look grey.
There is electricity in the room; a handful of lights on the wall glow brightly.
Gowan sits in a wooden chair at a table. He fingers a piece of bread from a plate, but doesn't eat. Instead he sips from a mug, probably coffee. His left knee rests across the seat of another chair.
The door opens, startling him. He doesn't get up.
It's Mac.
Mac enters and stops at the other end of the table. He looks tense.
Gowan sips his coffee. - "Mac. Glad you came."
Mac, in a clipped angry tone.- "Why were my men pulled off patrol this morning? We've covered this before, Gowan. My planet's in danger too. We have just as much right to be here..."
Gowan plunks his cup down and waves him off. - "I know, I know. It's not about that. Your men are doing fine, all they do is appreciated. It's Javin, Mac. It's time to send him home."
Mac - "Javin!" He shakes his head.
Gowan - "He's too young. He's only, what, 8? I think he's too young to be exposed to this stuff. It's not just me; alot of people are wondering about him being here."
Mac - "He needs to see what war does..how horrible it can be."
Gowan, shrugs - "I agree. It's an important lesson which every man in a position of power must learn...but he's too young to learn it, Mac. The only thing he's going to take away from this is nightmares." Gowan looks away, trying to hide the shadow that crosses his face. I don't think Mac saw it. Not that Mac doesn't know about Gowan's past.
Mac, shrugs - "My men will protect him."
Gowan gestures wildly. He's trying not to get mad - "I know they can protect him, and like I said, their ability isn't in question. BUT Javin should not be here," announciating each word. "In a couple of months we'll be ready to charge the front line..."
Mac steps forward and cuts him off - "I meant, my men will protect him from...traumatizing incidents."
Gowan, angrily - "How the hell can they do that? It's not realistic...he's gonna see stuff a boy his age shouldn't see." Frustrated, Gowan rubs his hand over his face. He throws up his hands. "It's not up for debate. Send Javin home."
Mac rounds the table and crosses to Gowan in a handful of quick strides. As quick as a flash Gowan is on his feet.
He's relaxed, but ready.
Mac stops a couple of feet from Gowan; he's not quite in Gowan's space. Still, he is much taller. I can see how tense he is. He's ready to spring.
Mac, in a low, controlled voice - "I know what this is about, so don't try this bullshit with me. We all see you parading Hillmark's heir around here...introducing him to this Family and that Family...all the while Javin is kept in the dark...kept from making important connections..."
Gowan interrupts - "Don't be so stupid. You've been introduced to everyone. Javin hasn't been because he is too young."
Gowan steps back, pauses, then heads for the door, where he pauses again - "And Remy is a young man, not an 8 year old boy. I'm not fighting with you about this, Mac. Send Javin home or I'll send him to his mother."
He leaves the room.